Alan Soffan, S.P., M.Sc., Ph.D.
Official : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bachelor from Crop Protection, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
- Master of Science (M.Sc) from Plant Protection Dept., College of Agriculture and Food Science, King Saud University.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from Plant Protection Dept., College of Agriculture and Food Science, King Saud University.
Teaching interest on Insect Biotechnology, Biology, Behavior and other recent approach in insect pest control
My PhD defense meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-qJVwe29Ms
Research & Extension Interest
- Gene silencing for the purpose of devising an alternatif insect pest control
- Genes cloning, gene characterization and transcriptomic study (we are searching and finally targeting a specific insect gene which might be usefull as a target for insect pest control)
- Insect Biology and Behavior which is related to the assessment of plant resistance to insect pest (we use a demographic growth parameters for biology study and a DC Electrical Penetration Graph -EPG- instrument for feeding behavior study)
- Modified atmosphere (using CO2, N2 and O2) for controlling insect stored pests
- Semiochemical studies particularly on insect pheromone, and kairomone
- IPM for vegetables and Fruit
- IPM for Tropical Datepalm and related palmae
- Soffan, A., Aldryhim Y.N. and Aldawood, A.S. 2012. Performance of Melon Aphid, Aphis gossypii Glover. on Different Host Plants and Different Levels of Nitrogen Fertilizer. Journal of King Saud University.Vol.24.1-6.
- Soffan, A., Aldryhim Y.N. and Aldawood, A.S.2012. Effects of Sex Ratio and Pairing Duration on the Biological Performance of Adult Almond Moth, Ephestia cautella (Walker) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Journal of Agriculture and Urban Entomology. 28: 25–33 (ISI Journal).
- Aldawood, A.S., K.G. Rasool, A.H. Alrukban, A. Soffan, M.H. Hussain and K.D. Sutanto. 2013. Effects of Temperature on the Development of Ephestia cautella (Walker) (Pyralidae: Lepidoptera): A Case Study for its Possible Control Under Storage Conditions . Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 45(6), pp. 1573-1578. (ISI Journal).
- Soffan, A. and Aldawood, A.S. 2014. Biology and demographic growth parameters of cowpea aphid (Aphis craccivora) on faba bean (Vicia faba) cultivars. Journal of Insect Science 14(120). (ISI Journal).
- Soffan, A. Alghamdi S.S. and Aldawood, A.S.2014. Peroxidase and polyphenol oxidase activity in moderate resistant and susceptible Vicia faba induced by Aphis craccivora (Hemiptera: Aphididae) infestation.Journal of Insect Science 14(285).doi: 10.1093/jisesa/ieu147 (ISI Journal).
- B. Antony, Soffan A., J. Jakše, S. Alfaifi, K. D. Sutanto, Aldosari, A. S. Aldawood, and A. Pain. Genes involved in sex pheromone biosynthesis of Ephestia cautella, an important food storage pest, are determined by transcriptome sequencing. BMC Genomics 16:532. DOI: 10.1186/s12864 (ISI Journal).
- Soffan, A. and Aldawood, A.S. 2015. Electrical Penetration Graph monitored feeding behavior of cowpea aphid, Aphis craccivora Koch. (Hemiptera:Aphididae), on faba bean, Vicia faba L. (Fabaceae), cultivars). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.16970/ted.16177. Turkish Journal of Entomology. (ISI Journal).
- Antony B., Soffan A., Jakše J., Abdelazim M.M., Aldosari S.A., Aldawood A.S., Pain A. 2016. Identification of the genes involved in odorant reception and detection in the palm weevil Rhynchophorus ferrugineus, an important quarantine pest, by antennal transcriptome analysis. BMC Genomics 17:1. (ISI Journal)
- Soffan, A. Binu Antony, Saleh Aldosari, Mahmoud Abdelazeim, Witjaksono and Abdurrahman S. Aldawood. 2016. Silencing the olfactory co-receptor, RferOrco marks reduced response to pheromone in red palm weevil, Rhynchophorus ferrugineus. PlosOne 11:e0162203. (ISI Journal)
- Research assistant for the Project entitled “Biology study of Helopeltis antonii in cashew plantation” Balai Penelitian Tanaman Rempah dan Obat (BALITRO). 
- Research assistant, Research and Development (RnD), East West Seed Indonesia Co. (EWSI). [2004-2007]• Researcher, Economic Entomology Research Unit. Plant Protection Dept., College of Agriculture and Food Science, King Saud University (KSU). [2007-2017]
- Lecturer, Crop Protection Department, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta (2017-present)
- Awarded Second winner for KSU award of scientific excellent. 2016.
- Awarded Sixth winner in King Saud University Student Scientific Competition (KSU-SSC 3rd). Basic Science, Engineering and Computer section. King Saud University. 2012.
- Awarded Second winner in King Saud University Student Scientific Competition (KSU-SSC 2nd ). Agriculture section. King Saud University. 2011.
- Awarded First winner in King Saud University Student Scientific Competition (KSU-SSC 1st.). Agriculture section. King Saud University.2010.
- Best student award. Plant Protection Department, College of Agriculture, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta.Indonesia.2004.
- Student Project Award. Effect of Pyrrolizidine alkaloid from Chromolaena odorata weed on Spodoptera exigua on Onion Field, Parangtritis, Yogyakarta (Worth 4.000.000,- IDR) Gadjah Mada University. 2004.
- Linnean Games.Entomology Section. Indonesian Entomological Society.2003.
- Runner Up for National Student Scientific Competition. Semarang. Indonesia. 2003.
- Awarded Third winner for Student Scientific Competition. Bogor Agriculture Institute. Indonesia.2002.
- 3rd Chinese Electrical Penetration Graph (EPG) workshop by Prof. Freddy Tjallingii. June 4-7, 2010. Hangzhou, China.
- XXIV International Congress of Entomology ‘New era in Entomology’. Oral presentation. Title: “Characterization of resistant factors in faba bean (Vicia faba L.) cultivars against cowpea aphid (Aphis craccivora Koch.) using Electrical Penetration Graph (DC-EPG). August 19-25, 2012, Daegu, Korea.
- Biology molecular technique for the identification of Geminivirus by Prof. Judith Brown., May 13-17, 2012. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Congres of Indonesian Diaspora. July 6-9, 2012. Los Angeles, California. USA.
- International Society of Chemical Ecology (ISCE) 2015 Conference. Molecular cloning and RNAi knockdown of olfactory co-receptor genes from two palm weevils species. 2015. 29 June-3 July 2015. Stockholm. Swedia.
- President of Indonesian Red Cross. High Scholl Chapter . SMU 1 Kartini. Pekalongan. Indonesia.1997.
- President of Plant Protection Student Association . Plant Protection Department, College of Agriculture, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta. Indonesia.
- Languages : Indonesian, English (Excellent; IBT TOEFL Score: 87)
- Software skills • Academic Software: Endnote 7, Microsoft office.• Statistics: SAS, SPSS, Oriana for circular statistics.• Others software :Corel Draw, Photoshop, Video editor.
|1||Electrical Penetration Graph (DC-EPG) for Piercing–Sucking insect feeding monitoring||DC-EPG||Expert|
|2||Electroantennogram (EAG) for detecting insect antennal response to volatile stimulus||EAG||Expert|
|3||Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay/ELISA||ELISA reader||Expert|
|4||Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM).||SEM||Experienced|
|5||Biochemical assay (POD and PPO analysis)||Spectrophotometer||Expert|
|7||DNA recombinant and Cloning||Molecular Kits||Expert|
|8||cDNA Library construction||Molecular Kits||Experienced|
|9||DNA, RNA and Protein extraction||Molecular Kits||Expert|
|10||Next generation Sequencing||Hi-Seq Illumina||Experienced|
|11||Bioinformatics||Bio-Edit, Mega6, Primer3,Geneious, and other online software||Expert|
|12||Genes functional assay/Genes Knockdown (RNAi)||Molecular Kits||Expert|
|13||qRT-PCR for gene expression quantification||qRT-PCR||Expert|
|14||DNA Sequencing||ABI 3500 genetic analyzer||Expert|
|15||SDS PAGE and 2D Electrophoresis||Experienced|