|E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Profile: Google scholar, SINTA, ORCID, PUBLON
Research interest: Molecular Entomology (Transcriptomic, RNAi), Evolution (dN/dS/PAML), Feeding Behavior (DC-EPG), Smart Pest Monitoring
- Bachelor from Crop Protection, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
- Master of Science (M.Sc) from Plant Protection Dept., College of Agriculture and Food Science, King Saud University.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from Plant Protection Dept., College of Agriculture and Food Science, King Saud University.
A. Classical teaching subjects:
1. Biotechnology in Crop Protection (S1, S2, S3)
2. Scientific Writing (S2)
3. Plant Quarantine (S1)
4. Principle of plant protection (S1)
5. Plant Clinic (S1)
6. Pest and Disease Management (S1)
7. Principle of Pest Science (S1)
8. English for Agriculture (S1)
B. Teaching Media (Youtube):
C. Massive Online Open Course (MOOC): Bioteknologi Perlindungan Tanaman
- MOOC 1 .Arti penting bioteknologi
- MOOC 2. DNA dan moleculer dogma
- MOOC 3. Evaluasi sekuense dna dan menjadikan final sekuense
- Rest of the MOOC video can be found in this channel HPT UGM
D. Other Teaching Media
My PhD defense meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-qJVwe29Ms
Shizuoka short meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sTa4syrT_o
Research & Extension Interest
- Gene silencing for the purpose of devising an alternatif insect pest control
- Genes cloning, gene characterization and transcriptomic study (we are searching and finally targeting a specific insect gene which might be usefull as a target for insect pest control)
- Insect Biology and Behavior which is related to the assessment of plant resistance to insect pest (we use a demographic growth parameters for biology study and a DC Electrical Penetration Graph -EPG- instrument for feeding behavior study)
- Modified atmosphere (using CO2, N2 and O2) for controlling insect stored pests
- Semiochemical studies particularly on insect pheromone, and kairomone
- IPM for vegetables and Fruit
- IPM for Tropical Datepalm and related palmae
- Prakoso AB, Anjani AA, Joko T, Drenth A, Soffan A, Subandiyah S. 2020. Transcriptomic data of the Musa balbisiana cultivar Kepok inoculated with Ralstonia syzigii subsp. celebesensis and Ralstonia solanacearum. Data in brief:105366.
- Subandiyah S, Rahayuniati RF, Hartono S, Somowiyarjo S, Afiahayati, Soffan A. 2020. RNA-seq data of banana bunchy top virus (BBTV) viruliferous and non-viruliferous banana aphid (Pentalonia nigronervosa). Data Brief 28:104860.
- Joko T, Soffan A, Rohman MS. 2019. A novel subspecies-specific primer targeting the gyrase B gene for the detection of Pectobacterium carotovorum subsp. brasiliense. Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity 20.
- Soffan, Alan., Siti Subandiyah, Hirokazu Makino, Tomoaki Watanabe and Tokumasa Horiike.2018. Evolutionary analysis of the highly conserved insect odorant coreceptor (Orco) gene revealed a positive selection mode, implying the functional flexibility. Journal of Insect Science. doi:10.1093/jisesa/iey120.
- Soffan, A. Binu Antony, Saleh Aldosari, Mahmoud Abdelazeim, Witjaksono and Abdurrahman S. Aldawood. 2016. Silencing the olfactory co-receptor, RferOrco marks reduced response to pheromone in red palm weevil, Rhynchophorus ferrugineus. PlosOne 11:e0162203.
- Antony B., Soffan A., Jakše J., Abdelazim M.M., Aldosari S.A., Aldawood A.S., Pain A. 2016. Identification of the genes involved in odorant reception and detection in the palm weevil Rhynchophorus ferrugineus, an important quarantine pest, by antennal transcriptome analysis. BMC Genomics 17:1.
- Soffan, A. and Aldawood, A.S. 2015. Electrical Penetration Graph monitored feeding behavior of cowpea aphid, Aphis craccivora Koch. (Hemiptera:Aphididae), on faba bean, Vicia faba L. (Fabaceae), cultivars). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.16970/ted.16177. Turkish Journal of Entomology.
- B. Antony, Soffan A., J. Jakše, S. Alfaifi, K. D. Sutanto, Aldosari, A. S. Aldawood, and A. Pain. 2015. Genes involved in sex pheromone biosynthesis of Ephestia cautella, an important food storage pest, are determined by transcriptome sequencing. BMC Genomics 16:532. DOI: 10.1186/s12864.
- Soffan, A. Alghamdi S.S. and Aldawood, A.S.2014. Peroxidase and polyphenol oxidase activity in moderate resistant and susceptible Vicia faba induced by Aphis craccivora (Hemiptera: Aphididae) infestation.Journal of Insect Science 14(285).doi: 10.1093/jisesa/ieu147.
- Soffan, A. and Aldawood, A.S. 2014. Biology and demographic growth parameters of cowpea aphid (Aphis craccivora) on faba bean (Vicia faba) cultivars. Journal of Insect Science 14(120).
- Aldawood, A.S., K.G. Rasool, A.H. Alrukban, A. Soffan, M.H. Hussain and K.D. Sutanto. 2013. Effects of Temperature on the Development of Ephestia cautella (Walker) (Pyralidae: Lepidoptera): A Case Study for its Possible Control Under Storage Conditions . Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 45(6), pp. 1573-1578.
- Soffan, A.,Aldryhim Y.N. and Aldawood, A.S.2012. Effects of Sex Ratio and Pairing Duration on the Biological Performance of Adult Almond Moth, Ephestia cautella(Walker) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Journal of Agriculture and Urban Entomology. 28: 25–33.
- Soffan, A., Aldryhim Y.N. and Aldawood, A.S. 2012. Performance of Melon Aphid, Aphis gossypii Glover. on Different Host Plants and Different Levels of Nitrogen Fertilizer. Journal of King Saud University.Vol.24.1-6.
- Lecturer, Crop Protection Department, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta (2017-present)
- Research assistant for the Project entitled “Biology study of Helopeltis antoniiin cashew plantation” Balai Penelitian Tanaman Rempah dan Obat (BALITRO). 
- Research assistant, Research and Development (RnD), East West Seed Indonesia Co. (EWSI). [2004-2007]• Researcher, Economic Entomology Research Unit. Plant Protection Dept., College of Agriculture and Food Science, King Saud University (KSU). [2007-2017]
- Indonesia Toray Science Foundation Awardee for Scientific research Grant.2019
- Awarded Second winner for KSU award of scientific excellent. 2016
- Awarded Sixth winner in King Saud University Student Scientific Competition (KSU-SSC 3rd). Basic Science, Engineering and Computer section. King Saud University. 2012
- Awarded Second winner in King Saud University Student Scientific Competition (KSU-SSC 2nd ). Agriculture section. King Saud University.2011
- Awarded First winner in King Saud University Student Scientific Competition (KSU-SSC 1st.). Agriculture section. King Saud University.2010
- Best student award. Plant Protection Department, College of Agriculture, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta.Indonesia.2004
- Student Project Award. Effect of Pyrrolizidine alkaloid from Chromolaena odorata weed on Spodoptera exigua on Onion Field, Parangtritis, Yogyakarta (Worth 4.000.000,- IDR) Gadjah Mada University. 2004
- Linnean Games.Entomology Section. Indonesian Entomological Society.2003
- Runner Up for National Student Scientific Competition. Semarang. Indonesia. 2003
- Awarded Third winner for Student Scientific Competition. Bogor Agriculture Institute. Indonesia.2002
- Scientific meeting on BBTV mitigation: community management in Nigeria and screening wild banana progenitors for resistance”. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Philipina.
- Academic Bench marking, Plant Protection Department with University Putra Malaysia UPM. Malaysia
- Scientific visit and research collaboration in Molecular evolution and bioinformatic Laboratorium. November Shizuoka Unversity. Japan
- International Society of Chemical Ecology (ISCE) 2015 Conference. Molecular cloning and RNAi knockdown of olfactory co-receptor genes from two palm weevils species. 2015. 29 June-3 July 2015. Swedia.
- Congres of Indonesian Diaspora. July 6-9, 2012. Los Angeles, California. USA.
- Biology molecular technique for the identification of Geminivirus by Prof. Judith Brown., May 13-17, 2012. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- XXIV International Congress of Entomology ‘New era in Entomology’. Oral presentation. Title: “Characterization of resistant factors in faba bean (Vicia faba) cultivars against cowpea aphid (Aphis craccivora Koch.) using Electrical Penetration Graph (DC-EPG). August 19-25, 2012, Daegu, Korea.
- 3rd Chinese Electrical Penetration Graph (EPG) workshop by Prof. Freddy Tjallingii. June 4-7, 2010. Hangzhou, China.
|No||Project name||Year||Funding Agency|
|1||Antennal transcriptome analysis of a damaging pest in tea and cocoa plantation, Tea mosquito bugs, Helopeltis spp., to support novel pest management strategies||2020||Indonesia Toray Science Foundation Awardee for Scientific and Technology Research Grant (STR)|
|2||BBTV mitigation: community management in Nigeria and screening wild banana progenitors for resistance”.||Multi years||Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, project no: OPP1130226|
|3||Combined application of insecticide and chitosan on the rice plant against plant hopper monitored by Electrical Penetration Graph (EPG)||2019||Faculty of Agriculture , Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|4||Evaluation of several pesticide formula against Spodoptera litura on maize plantations.||2019||Syngenta|
|5||Resistant evaluation of several pigmented rice against plant hopper (Nilaparvata lugens) infestation.||2018||Assessment Institutes for Agricultural Technology of Yogyakarta|
|6||Systemic induced resistant on rice plant against plant hopper using chitosan, monitored by Electrical Penetration Graph (EPG).||2018||Faculty of Agriculture , Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|7||World Class Professor Program||2017||Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education (KEMENRISTEKDIKTI) of the Republic of Indonesia(No.168.A10/D2/KP/2017).|
- President of Indonesian Red Cross. High Scholl Chapter . SMU 1 Kartini. Pekalongan. Indonesia.1997.
- President of Plant Protection Student Association . Plant Protection Department, College of Agriculture, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta. Indonesia.
- Languages : Indonesian, English (Excellent; IBT TOEFL Score: 87)
- Software skills • Academic Software: Endnote 7, Microsoft office.• Statistics: SAS, SPSS, Oriana for circular statistics.• Others software :Corel Draw, Photoshop, Video editor.
|1||Electrical Penetration Graph (DC-EPG) for Piercing–Sucking insect feeding monitoring||DC-EPG||Expert|
|2||Electroantennogram (EAG) for detecting insect antennal response to volatile stimulus||EAG||Expert|
|3||Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay/ELISA||ELISA reader||Expert|
|4||Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM).||SEM||Experienced|
|5||Biochemical assay (POD and PPO analysis)||Spectrophotometer||Expert|
|7||DNA recombinant and Cloning||Molecular Kits||Expert|
|8||cDNA Library construction||Molecular Kits||Experienced|
|9||DNA, RNA and Protein extraction||Molecular Kits||Expert|
|10||Next generation Sequencing||Hi-Seq Illumina||Experienced|
|11||Bioinformatics||Bio-Edit, Mega6, Primer3,Geneious, and other online software||Expert|
|12||Genes functional assay/Genes Knockdown (RNAi)||Molecular Kits||Expert|
|13||qRT-PCR for gene expression quantification||qRT-PCR||Expert|
|14||DNA Sequencing||ABI 3500 genetic analyzer||Expert|
|15||SDS PAGE and 2D Electrophoresis||Experienced|